Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Why Are You Here?

For centuries, philosophers have pondered the meaning of life, the universe and everything. Of course, the answer is '42'- at least according to Douglas Adams.

Instead of an existential tangent on our place in the universe, I would like to know why you all are here. Reading this blog. Participating in our Neuroethology class- a course that is not commonly part of the medical school curriculum.

So, why are you here? What do you hope to gain by the end of this course?

4 comments:

  1. I am taking the course to gain exposure into different model systems and a different way of thinking about neuroscience. I think it is good to get outside of one's scientific niche and explore other areas of the scientific literature.

    I don't have specific expectations in terms of what I want to gain from the course, but I appreciate the effort and enthusiasm of the faculty so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am taking this course to acquire an understanding of how different research approaches and techniques are able to correlate behavior to a specific neural circuit, and second to understand the different circuit flavors that exist, how they transmit messages, and what the effective applications and limits of these circuits are.

    I think the conceptual framework that this will provide will be a valuable and insightful approach to thinking about the neurosciences and neurology in general. Researchers have only characterized a small fraction of the biologic processes that underpin these fields, and this framework will undoubtably aid in interpreting future studies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Firstly: This course is like a Ranger Rick magazine for big kids. How could I possibly resist such a thing?

    In general, I think neuroethology pushes us to expand our concepts of how neural circuits do and could work--providing us with a wider base of knowledge that we can then apply to our more 'traditional' models and studies. Personally, though I'm a student at a medical campus, learning how animals (both human and non-human) work is something I'm really passionate about. I'd like to move into more neuroethological studies as my career progresses--I'm hoping this class will better acquaint me with the field!

    -courtney

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am taking this course because I study circuits in the mammalian olfactory bulb and appreciate learning other facets of systems neurobiology. I am hoping to use what I learn in this course to place my work in broader "whole animal" context.

    -Joe

    ReplyDelete